Figured it out [was Outgoing Mail Queue]

Curtis Maurand cmaurand at XYONET.COM
Fri May 21 12:05:06 IST 2004

Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:

>Hi!
>

>>2.   The startup script as its written automatically runs the sm-client
>>to process
>>       on the outgoing mailqueue as specified in submit.cf.  If
>>submit.cf is used, local
>>       email is not delivered.  The startup script that comes with the
>>rpm is useless.
>>       Mail willl simply build up in the Outoing Queue Dir.
>>
>>To that end, I used the commands that go with the tarball installation
>>and all works fine and I changed the "run as user =" and "run as group
>>=" lines.
>>

>>/usr/sbin/sendmail -q5m -OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.out -c
>>/etc/mail/sendmail.cf
>>

>If you alter paths and defaults you can expect behaviour like this. As far
>as i know the defaults for the outgoing queue is not mqueue.out, but
>mqueue. If you call sendmail directly, like a lot of programs do, it will
>place mail in mqueue, not mqueue.out. I wonder if its smart to make
>changes like this at all.
>
>Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, but here's a little change.  The default processing queue for
fedora (at least) is /var/spool/clientmqueue and still submit.cf only
send outbound mail.  It does not allow for local delivery.  If submit.cf
is used all the mail ends up in mqueue.in again.  As soon as I made the
changes described above, everything started working as advertised.  Its
the submit.cf that is causing much of the trouble.

Curtis

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk