Problem with MS blocking legit attachments

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Thu May 20 21:02:20 IST 2004

Jason Williams wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> This morning, MS started to block legitimate emails attached with .doc
> files. So far, I have had 3 blocked today.
> They are all .doc files (all resumes actually) and im trying to figure
> out
> why they are being blocked.
>
> Looking through the logs as well as MailWatch, I see this in the
> headers field:
>

> MailScanner: Attempt to hide real filename extension (Resume.kari.doc)

MS sees these as double extension threats. Get the sender to stop using
full stops in the file name so MS will see resume-kari.doc (One
extension). Often viruses hide in double extensions (e.g. doc.zip.scr)
to fool Outlook.

> I can't release it from quarantine, as it gets put right back into the
> quarantine directory.
>
> I've looked through my .conf file, but haven't been able to figure out
> what
> this is happening.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> System: