SpamAssassin installation could not be found

Max Pyziur pyz at BRAMA.COM
Thu May 20 04:25:01 IST 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Ugo Bellavance wrote:

> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> > I've uninstalled SpamAssassin from rpms (ones which I built from SRPMs)
> > and have installed SpamAssassin 2.63 from source.  I'm able to run
> > spamassassin -D --lint -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
> > with no problems.
> >
> > However, when I set "Use SpamAssassin = yes" I get the usual
> > "SpamAssassin installation could not be found" in the /var/log/maillog
> > file and MailScanner ceases to deliver mail.
> >
> > This then seems to be a configuration setting on MailScanner's side; I see
> > in /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/SA.pm that the error message is
> > produced at line 119 when it encounters the subsequent statement at line
> > 120  -- unless eval "require Mail::SpamAssassin";
> >
> > Having tried the above-mentioned recommendations and ones which I've found
> > in MailScanner's archives I'll still continue looking through
> > the archives, but if someone has more information on this I would
> > appreciate it very much.
> >
> > Much thanks.
> >

> What OS?

Redhat Linux.

Turns out that the problem was a configuration after all; the
SpamAssassin Install Prefix needed to be set to /usr.

In looking through SA.pm, the line reading:
$val = MailScanner::Config::Value('spamassassininstallprefix')
determines Spamassassin's installation prefix.  And that gets read from
/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf

As for the suggestion to use source vs SRPMS, there's no difference
in using the two as to where spamassassin's binaries and modules get
installed.

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk