Bayes DB Corruption Problem

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Sun May 16 10:44:11 IST 2004

Gib Gilbertson Jr. wrote:
> Here are the lines from spam.assassin.prefs.conf, I've even looked at the
> file with UltraEdit on my Win2k machine and can't see any strange
> characters. I've tried a space and also a tab as the seperator character
> and it makes no difference.

You haven't edited on your PC and then transfered it to the MS box, have
you? That's usually a bad thing to do because PC:s handle end of lines
differently, you should see that in vi, probably as ^M at the end of
every line. If you don't like vi, get another editor like emacs or pico
but never edit Unix files on a PC.

>> Another thing you could try is to comment it out from
>> spam.assassin.prefs.conf and add a file called bayes.cf in
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/ contaning only that line, type it in manually
>> for safety (paranoia mode on :-) ). Try linting as usual.
>
> No error messages when trying the above. Here is the output of the lint
> command.
>
> debug: using "/usr/local/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf" for site
> rules dir
> debug: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir
> debug: using "/root/.spamassassin/user_prefs" for user prefs file

Strange, you get only three lines of paths SA uses, I have five, see
below. I thought you would have /etc/mail/spamassassin/ as site rules
dir but it doesn't seem to use that at all so no wonder it didn't
complain about your new file, it never picked it up. Maybe it's because
you run 2.55, I don't remember the output of that one. Please move the
file you made to /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/ and lint again.

debug: using "/usr/share/spamassassin" for default rules dir
debug: using "/etc/mail/spamassassin" for site rules dir
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin/user_prefs" for user prefs file
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir

> FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE
> SpamAssassin version 2.55
> MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.26.
> Perl 5.005_03

Were you going to upgrade? SA 2.63 catches a lot more spam than 2.55 and
doesn't use some of the now dead RBLs. Also, SA 3 will need Perl 5.6.

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun

Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.10, MailScanner 4.29.7,
SpamAssassin 2.63 + DCC 1.2.45, ClamAV 0.70 + GMP 4.1.2, Vispan 1.4

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk