Bayes DB Corruption Problem

Gib Gilbertson Jr. gib at TMISNET.COM
Sun May 16 07:12:45 IST 2004

At 02:18 AM 5/16/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>Gib Gilbertson Jr. wrote:
>>Yes. That was me. For normal operations I use spam.assassin.prefs.conf file
>>with "bayes_auto_expire 0" set. When I run any scripts that lint the rules
>>I have a file called spam.assassin.prefs.conf.bayes which has
>>"bayes_auto_expire 0" commented out.
>>
>>Failed to parse line in SpamAssassin configuration, skipping:
>>bayes_auto_expire 0
>
>Since bayes_auto_expire is by default set to 1 that's the value it's
>going to have since your line doesn't work for some reason. We need to
>get it working. Could you post a couple of lines before and after that
>line in spam.assassin.prefs.conf? Have you checked for strange
>characters in the file? Look at it with both cat and vi.

Here are the lines from spam.assassin.prefs.conf, I've even looked at the
file with UltraEdit on my Win2k machine and can't see any strange
characters. I've tried a space and also a tab as the seperator character
and it makes no difference.

# MailScanner: When using the scheduled Bayes expiry feature, you probably
# MailScanner: want to turn off auto-expiry as it will rarely complete before
# MailScanner: it is killed for taking too long. You will just end up with
# MailScanner: big bayes_toks.new files wasting space.

bayes_auto_expire 0

# Whitelist and blacklist addresses are *not* patterns; they're just normal
# strings.  one exception is that "*@isp.com" is allowed.  They should be in
# lower-case.  You can either add multiple addrs on one line,
# whitespace-separated, or you can use multiple lines.

>Another thing you could try is to comment it out from
>spam.assassin.prefs.conf and add a file called bayes.cf in
>/etc/mail/spamassassin/ contaning only that line, type it in manually
>for safety (paranoia mode on :-) ). Try linting as usual.

No error messages when trying the above. Here is the output of the lint
command.

spamassassin -D --lint -C /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
debug: Score set 0 chosen.
debug: running in taint mode? no
debug: ignore: using a test message to lint rules
debug: using "/usr/local/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf" for site
rules dir
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin/user_prefs" for user prefs file
debug: bayes: 27233 tie-ing to DB file R/O /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes_toks
debug: bayes: 27233 tie-ing to DB file R/O /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes_seen
debug: debug: Only 49 ham(s) in Bayes DB < 200
debug: bayes: 27233 untie-ing
debug: bayes: 27233 untie-ing db_toks
debug: bayes: 27233 untie-ing db_seen
debug: Score set 1 chosen.
debug: Initialising learner
debug: bayes: 27233 tie-ing to DB file R/O /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes_toks
debug: bayes: 27233 tie-ing to DB file R/O /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes_seen
debug: debug: Only 49 ham(s) in Bayes DB < 200
debug: bayes: 27233 untie-ing
debug: bayes: 27233 untie-ing db_toks
debug: bayes: 27233 untie-ing db_seen
debug: running header regexp tests; score so far=0
debug: running body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=0
debug: running raw-body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=0
debug: running uri tests; score so far=0
debug: uri tests: Done uriRE
debug: running full-text regexp tests; score so far=0
debug: running meta tests; score so far=0
debug: is spam? score=0 required=5 tests=
debug: bayes: 27233 untie-ing

FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE
SpamAssassin version 2.55
MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.26.
Perl 5.005_03

gib

      Gib Gilbertson Jr.
     Tierramiga Info Systems