Bayes DB Corruption Problem

Gib Gilbertson Jr. gib at TMISNET.COM
Sat May 15 23:41:39 IST 2004

At 04:58 PM 5/15/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>Gib Gilbertson Jr. wrote:
>>>Sorry for going OT but didn't you have a problem bayes_auto_expire? It's
>>>still on if I remember correctly.
>>
>>Hi. Yes I've had an ongoing problem with the bayes db getting corrupted
>>every 2 to 3 days.
>
>Yes, but weren't you the one who had a problem during linting which said
>"bayes_auto_expire 0" was ignored? If so, that's the cause of your
>problem. I forgot to set it on one of my systems and had a lot of
>problems, when I set it they went away. You should focus on why the
>setting is rejected. By default SA tries to expire tokens itself and it
>just doesn't work.
>
>Ignore my rant if this was not your problem, I just remember having this
>discussion with someone. :-)

Yes. That was me. For normal operations I use spam.assassin.prefs.conf file
with "bayes_auto_expire 0" set. When I run any scripts that lint the rules
I have a file called spam.assassin.prefs.conf.bayes which has
"bayes_auto_expire 0" commented out.

Here is the output when running lint using spam.assassin.prefs.conf.

# spamassassin -D --lint -C /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
debug: Score set 0 chosen.
debug: running in taint mode? no
debug: ignore: using a test message to lint rules
debug: using "/usr/local/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf" for site
rules dir
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin/user_prefs" for user prefs file
Failed to parse line in SpamAssassin configuration, skipping:
bayes_auto_expire 0
debug: bayes: 44965 tie-ing to DB file R/O /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes_toks
debug: bayes: 44965 tie-ing to DB file R/O /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes_seen
debug: debug: Only 30 ham(s) in Bayes DB < 200
debug: bayes: 44965 untie-ing
debug: bayes: 44965 untie-ing db_toks
debug: bayes: 44965 untie-ing db_seen
debug: Score set 1 chosen.
debug: Initialising learner
debug: bayes: 44965 tie-ing to DB file R/O /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes_toks
debug: bayes: 44965 tie-ing to DB file R/O /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes_seen
debug: debug: Only 30 ham(s) in Bayes DB < 200
debug: bayes: 44965 untie-ing
debug: bayes: 44965 untie-ing db_toks
debug: bayes: 44965 untie-ing db_seen
debug: running header regexp tests; score so far=0
debug: running body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=0
debug: running raw-body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=0
debug: running uri tests; score so far=0
debug: uri tests: Done uriRE
debug: running full-text regexp tests; score so far=0
debug: running meta tests; score so far=0
debug: is spam? score=0 required=5 tests=
debug: bayes: 44965 untie-ing

The only script which had problems with the line "Failed to parse line in
SpamAssassin configuration, skipping: bayes_auto_expire 0" was the
rules_du_jour script, which ended up moving the old rules back every time
the script was run until I created the duplicate file with
bayes_auto_expire 0 commented out. Now all the rules that have changed are
updated and linted on a daily basis with no problems.

Even before I started running rules_du_jour though I was getting corrupted
data bases every 2 to 3 days, this problem has not changed.

I am sure there are people with thru puts much higher than I have. I run an
average of about 25,000 messages a day of which about 85% are spam. I host
about 100 domains, and the MailScanner machine acts as an e-mail gateway.

gib

      Gib Gilbertson Jr.
     Tierramiga Info Systems
      619-287-8647 Support