Bayes DB Corruption Problem

Gib Gilbertson Jr. gib at TMISNET.COM
Sat May 15 15:03:45 IST 2004

At 09:08 AM 5/15/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>Gib Gilbertson Jr. wrote:
>>That isn't the problem. It works for me on FreeBSD. However, I've given up
>>worrying about bayes, every 2 or 3 days when it gets corrupted and won't
>>expire I just delete it and wait another 2 or 3 days and do it again. I've
>>tried everything the list has suggested and nothing works. However your
>>bayes-starter db will work on FreeBSD just for your info.
>
>Maybe it's a db_file version problem then? If it's not easily solved
>maybe the link on the web site should say what it's for (some Linux I
>guess).
>
>Sorry for going OT but didn't you have a problem bayes_auto_expire? It's
>still on if I remember correctly.

Hi. Yes I've had an ongoing problem with the bayes db getting corrupted
every 2 to 3 days.

I tried the bayes-starter db to give me a jump start on bayes, but the db
still gets corrupted also after a couple of days. I now delete the db and
let it build itself back up until it gets corrupted again. That was why I
mentioned the bayes-starter db does work on FreeBSD, but I've got some
other problem causing corruption..

I have turned off bayes auto expire in spam.assassin.prefs.conf. Turned off
expire bayes db in MailScanner.conf. I run an expire script which stops
MailScanner, waits 30 seconds, then runs the command

spamassassin -C /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
--force-expire

Every 2 to 3 days I'll get this output from the cron job...

Cannot open bayes_path /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes R/O: Inappropriate
file type or format
Cannot open bayes_path /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes R/W: Inappropriate
file type or format
Cannot open bayes_path /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes R/W: Inappropriate
file type or format

I tried everything suggested by people on the list, delaying between
stopping MailScanner and running force-expire, delaying after force-expire
before restarting, etc.

I'll be upgrading everything to the latest version in a week or so. Doing
an O.S. upgrade to the latest stable version of FreeBSD, and Perl and
adding another 1.0GB of memory to the server. I'm hoping that the problem
will be solved then.

Thanks

gib

>--
>/Peter Bonivart
>
>--Unix lovers do it in the Sun
>
>Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.10, MailScanner 4.29.7,
>SpamAssassin 2.63 + DCC 1.2.45, ClamAV 0.70 + GMP 4.1.2, Vispan 1.4
>
>-------------------------- MailScanner list ----------------------
>To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
>Before posting, please see the Most Asked Questions at
>http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives at
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html

      Gib Gilbertson Jr.
     Tierramiga Info Systems