Messages not scanned

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Fri May 14 23:06:45 IST 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 22:57, Rafael Angarita wrote:
>     Hi,
>
>     We are running MailScanner + Spamassassin + Sendmail and we are
> having a low rate of  detected spam (about 10% of our total incoming
> mails),  when we check the delivered emails we can see that a lot of
> them are not marked with the MailScanner headers indicating that they
> are not being "analyzed" by MailScanner.
>     We don't know  why the MailScanner is not processing all the mails
> and we are trying to figure out how to increase the total scanned messages
>
>     The servers load is always less than 1%, the idle time is over 50%,
> so we are not haevy loaded we can scan more messages.
>
>     Our MailScanner and SpamAsssin config is the default configuration
>
>     The environment is:
>     - OS:  Solaris 9
>     - sendmail 8.12.11
>     - MailScanner 4.26.8
>     - SpamAsssin  2.63
>
>     Does anybody could give me a suggestions to increae our total
> scanned messages?

Are you running a caching nameserver?  You may be experiencing DNS
timeouts, running a caching nameserver will help.  There have also been
some RBL's removed lately, due to their dead status (e.g. infinate
monkeys) make sure you're not checking any of them in SA.

Any clues in your maillog?

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000