whitelisting

Don Newcomer newcomer at DICKINSON.EDU
Fri May 14 20:50:21 IST 2004

I'm using MailScanner 4.30.3 and SpamAssassin 2.63.  I've had problems with
spammers getting by my sitewide whitelisting by spoofing headers.  I tried
switching to an IP-based solution in spam.whitelist.rules and added a
couple of whitelist_from_rcvd entries in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.
My IP entries are working fine but it looks like the local.cf entries
aren't.  Does MailScanner ignore any white/blacklist entries in local.cf?
Here's what I have in there now:

whitelist_from_rcvd *@dickinson.edu localhost
whitelist_from_rcvd *@dickinson.edu dickinson.edu

In spam.whitelist.rules I have these lines which should cover our whole
network:

From:   192.102.232.*   yes
From:   172.16.*.*      yes

The problem is if I send a message from my desktop box
(falcon.dickinson.edu), I can see in the mail log where it resolves the IP
number (as the SA docs said it had to) but there's nothing in the headers
to indicate that it's whitelisted.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Don Newcomer
Senior Manager, Systems
Infrastructure Systems Department