OT: Sendmail LDAP Routing - failure

James Gray james_gray at OCS.COM
Fri May 14 03:19:07 IST 2004

Hi All (and Kevin Spicer specifically),

I am trying to implement the LDAP_ROUTE_FILE feature as detailed in
Kevin's documentation at
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/270.html

I'm not sure where I'm screwing up, but after making all the changes in
/etc/mail, then restarting sendmail, everything is rejected as "Unknown
User" - eek.

Our setup is a little different to most; the mail gateway relays most
domains back to the exchange server, but accepts 2 domains for local
delivery.  If I read the FAQ properly, then I need to put every domain
(both local and relayed) into /etc/mail/local-host-names and only the
relayed domains in /etc/mail/ldap-domains .... right?

The /etc/mail/access currently doesn't allow relay from anything except
the local machine and the IP of the exchange server.  There are also a
bunch of "spammer.com    550 Go away spammer" directives in there to
handle big spam problems.

The /etc/mail/mailertable has (had) all the relayed domains as
"relayed1.com    SMTP:[172.20.x.y]" etc, and the local domains as
"local1.com      local:"
I've commented out all the "relayed1.com" lines and left the
"local1.com" lines.

Here's the .mc file with the ldap features added:

OSTYPE(freebsd4)
DOMAIN(generic)
FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')
FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
FEATURE(local_lmtp)
FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')
FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')
LDAPROUTE_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/ldap-domains')dnl
FEATURE(`ldap_routing', `hash /etc/mail/mailhost', `null', `bounce')dnl
### SNIPPED A BUNCH OF COMMENTED-OUT STUFF ###
define(`confBIND_OPTS', `WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')
define(`confMAX_MIME_HEADER_LENGTH', `256/128')
define(`confNO_RCPT_ACTION', `add-to-undisclosed')
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,noexpn,novrfy')
MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)

Now here's the confusing part, I have TWO .mc file and two .cf files (3
if you count the submit.cf/mc file too, but I know what that's for).
The first is called "freebsd.mc" the other is "our.fq.mail.host.mc".
This is on FreeBSD 4.6.  I've edited both of these mc files as above,
generated BOTH cf files and still I get all addresses rejected :(

Any ideas?  Kevin - did you want to take this off-list?

Kind Regards,

James

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk