RBL in SpamAssassin?

Max Kipness mkipness at GENIANT.COM
Thu May 13 13:56:39 IST 2004

Hi,

I've turned on RBL's in SpamAssassin, but also have them running via
MailScanner for testing.

My question is how do I find out what RBL's are being checked by default
by SpamAssassin? I've added one via a custom rule that I saw posted
somewhere as follows:

# XBL is the Spamhaus Exploits Block List: http://www.spamhaus.org/xbl/
header RCVD_IN_XBL
eval:check_rbl_txt('xbl','xbl.spamhaus.org.')
describe RCVD_IN_XBL            Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL
tflags RCVD_IN_XBL              net
score RCVD_IN_XBL               5

The strange thing is that sometimes it seems to work, and sometimes it
doesn't. I'm basing this on the fact that on some messages, MailScanner
finds the message in SpamHaus, but there is nothing in the scoring
section of SpamAssassin for this RBL. However, sometimes both
MailScanner and SpamAssassin find it. Why is that?

I'm guessing that SpamCop is built in to rules of SpamAssassin, because
I see it sometimes in the scoring section. But the above applies as
well. MailScanner will sometimes report an email is in SpamCop, but
sometimes SpamAssassin won't.

My goal was to remove RBL checking in MailScanner, but now I'm not sure,
it it doesn't work as well.

Also, to include all my current MailScanner RBL's in SpamAssassin, do I
basically use the same rule above, and change accordingly for the
specific RBL?

Thanks,
Max

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk