Whats the max number of rules you can have in /etc/mail/spamassassin?

Michael Freeman admin at thenamegame.com
Thu May 13 08:51:34 IST 2004

> Ho!
>
> > BIGEVIL ANTIDRUG EVILNUMBERS BACKHAIR CHICKENPOX and about 4 others.
>
> I really would suggest you start using SURBL for the BIGEVIL list, much
> faster and takes up less ram and cpu on your MS box since it doesnt have
> to use the regexps.
>
> > My question is what is the max number of rules we can place
> > in /etc/mail/spamassassin?
>
> The number you told is ok, i run more, but its depending if you for
> example have local copy's of all RBLs you use, and also depending on your
> box, the ram, cpu, disks and so on. So yes, if your box is heavilly loaded
> bring down the number of rules. Or just put online a second and/or faster
> box...
>
> Bye,
> Raymond.

I have boxes that are far less powerful than the one that is having issues.
A PIII as opposed to a P4. On our PIII we are running the identical rules
with MailScanner 4.29 and everthing runs fine. We dont have a single load
issue. On our P4 we cannot run any of these rules otherwise we have the
issue as outlined above. The exception is that we are running the latest
version of MailScanner on the P4. Something is not right with this version.
Its got to be otherwise i cannot explain why we cannot use the same rules as
on our other boxes without seeing a huge load issue.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk