MailScanner vs. Amavisd

Mariano Absatz mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR
Tue May 11 14:04:43 IST 2004

Mike,

appart from whatever might have happened with F-Prot, if you see viruses
passing thru MailScanner, you should first suspect of the AV scanner and not
MailScanner itself.

Even more, ignoring the products themselves, and using just commonsense, if
you pass messages first thru MailScanner and then thru Amavisd whatever virus
that was missed by MailScanner might be catched by Amavisd, BUT there is NO
WAY that MailScanner will catch viruses missed by Amavisd, since, by the time
Amavisd is thru MailScanner will not be called in, and in fact, it must have
already caught this viruses before Amavisd had a chance to look at them...
this is why Kevin suggested you reversed the order...

But then, if we're talking viruses and you use AV-a in MailScanner and AV-a +
AV-b in Amavisd, there's a clear advantage to Amavisd... you should run the
same set of antivirus scanners in both and then any differences that would
come around will probably be due to the integrated 'inteligence' or
'vulnerability-checks' of each tool.

I don't know Amavisd, I choose MailScanner at first sight because of the way
it handles messages in batches (that that people of Amavisd seem to not
like), and for not pretending it's an MTA, 'cause SMTP is really a hard beast
to handle and that is better left to experienced MTA developers (sendmail,
postfix, exim, zmailer), MailScanner just stands in-between, and, when I hit
a real problem because of an underconfigured machine, it took me 5 minutes
and a symbolic link to take MailScanner out of the loop and leave the MTA
alone processing messages... I don't think you can do that with Amavisd in an
emergency...

Regards.

--
Mariano Absatz