General questions about notifying sender's

Jason Williams jwilliams at COURTESYMORTGAGE.COM
Mon May 10 19:03:49 IST 2004

Morning everyone.

Just thought i'd ask a few, general questions about notifying senders and
users regarding content being blocked and what have you.

For the most part, I would imagine it is a good idea to 'not' notify
senders of blocked content? Especially in the case of viruses, because a
good portion of virus relayed emails have forged headers. For the most
part, I have disabled notifying senders.

However, what about blocked content? Is there a general rule of thumb
regarding that media? For example, let's say a legit person tries to email
myself or another person in my company with an attachment of some sort that
is real. Now, if MS blocks it (just generally speaking here) for blocked
content, the sender would receive a message saying the content was blocked,
correct? Is that generally a good practice to follow? Same question could
be posed when speaking of my users.

Just really wanted to get some general recommendations on this matter and
if there is a recommended setup.

As it stands right now, I have the following in my MailScanner.conf:

.
Notify Senders = no

Notify Senders Of Viruses = no

Notify Senders Of Blocked Filenames Or Filetypes = no

Notify Senders Of Other Blocked Content = no

Never Notify Senders Of Precedence = list bulk

Silent Viruses = HTML-IFrame All-Viruses

Still Deliver Silent Viruses = no

For the most part, I can see sending some type of notifications to my
users, but I question about sending notifications to people outside our
company.

Just thought i'd ask.

Jason

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk