emails not scanned?

Patel, Anjana Anjana.Patel at CRANFIELD.AC.UK
Fri May 7 10:54:48 IST 2004

Hello,

I'm a bit concerned about a problem that occurred yesterday.

The setup is as follows:
Mailscanner v 4.28.4
Redhat Linux
Exim 3.36

The current setup has been working fine for the last month or so but
yesterday I changed the config so that the spam.action.rules and
html2txt.rules called files (which contained the relevant addresses).

Unfortunately due to typos, mailscanner was unable to find these files:

May  7 00:01:44 xxx MailScanner[20667]: Could not open ruleset's address
pattern list file /software/MailScanner/etc/rules/striphtmlspam, No such
file or directory
May  7 00:01:54 xxx MailScanner[20677]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner
version 4.28.4 starting...

The maillog is filled up with the above messages with no indication of
any scanning/delivering messages.

The problem is that instead of mailscanner queuing up the files as I
would have expected, it delivered the files unscanned (i.e. not virus
checked or spam checked).  There were no mailscanner headers in the
email that I checked.  Obviously this was not mailscanner's fault but it
is still worrying as infected emails were delivered.  I was under the
impression that mailscanner was responsible for moving emails from one
queue to another AFTER they were scanned.  Can anyone explain what
happened here so I can put in some checks to prevent it happening again?

Thanks
Anjana

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk