MailScanner vs. Amavisd

Muenz, Michael linux at LEUTE.SERVER.DE
Thu May 6 11:25:46 IST 2004

> Once you've done that and if you're still finding stuff that gets
> through perhaps you could report exactly what here so that folks
> round these parts can find out why.  Are you using the
> same virus scanner in both cases?  Would you mind telling
> us how many mails you process each day to we can get that
> figure of 10 per day in perspective.

With MailScanner i use F-Prot. With amavis F-Prot and ClamAV.
(I don't think ClamAV is better that F-Prot).
Inbound Mails are about 20000 a day. Viruses that get caught by
MailScanner about 3000 a day.

> I'd also like to point out that we don't know  how many MailScanner
> would catch that Amavis misses if the order of scanning were reversed.
> Anyone running that setup?

Never tested, but good idea.

> What is the *_lovers_* that you speak of?

That are exceptions, e.g. user at domain wants to get viruses,
but don't want spam checks etc.

There was a thread 1 or 2 weeks ago about exceptions here.
Don't know the topic but it's unsolved and with amavisd-new
that problem would be solved.

Michael

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk