Blocking certain email addresses

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Wed Mar 31 21:56:31 IST 2004

At 03:44 PM 3/31/2004, Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
>I need to block the email addresses from people that are no longer with
>the company.  Not only block, but not do the spam actions via blacklist.
>I just need mailscanner to drop them and that's it.

Quite frankly, why do you need MS to do this? you're significantly better
off stopping this at the MTA layer, before MS touches the email in the
first place, and it's fairly trivial to do.

If you've got a relay-only mailserver without local accounts on it, just
use /etc/mail/access to block the address. Sendmail will issue a 5xx error
to any process trying to deliver mail to that address.

As a bonus, the message won't ever be transfered in the first place and you
save bandwidth. There's also no mis-directed bounce problems because you
never queued a message, but a legitimate mailer can correctly detect that
the address is no longer valid.