MS stops working randomly

Jacques Caruso jacques at MONACO.NET
Wed Mar 31 15:04:11 IST 2004

Hi,

I've still an ongoing problem with MS. Sometimes, MS just stops
processing mail (it doesn't die, the threads just idle), causing a
bottleneck in the mail queue -- and it can be very big if I don't happen
to notice that MS has gone on vacation. It happened again yesterday, you
can see the result at
<http://lrrd.monaco.net/monaco.net/sceuzi.monaco.net-postfix_mailqueue_fe.html>.
Note that once it happens, MS never restarts, the decrease after
midnight is due to this line I put in the crontab as a precaution some
time ago :

30      0       *       *       *       /etc/init.d/mailscanner restart &>/dev/null

Does someone else has seen this problem ? FYI, my current MS config is
like this (only lines modified from the default Debian configuration are
listed) :

%report-dir% = /etc/MailScanner/reports/fr
%org-name% = Internix
Max Children = 5
Run As User = postfix
Run As Group = postfix
Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix.in/deferred
Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/incoming
MTA = postfix
Sendmail = /usr/sbin/sendmail
Sendmail2 = /usr/sbin/sendmail
Deliver Unparsable TNEF = yes
File Command = /usr/bin/file
Virus Scanners = clamav
Virus Scanner Timeout = 40
Allow Password-Protected Archives = yes
Allow Partial Messages = yes
Allow External Message Bodies = yes
Allow IFrame Tags = yes
Allow Object Codebase Tags = yes
Quarantine Whole Message = yes
Information Header = X-%org-name%-MailScanner-Information:
Spam Score Character = *
Information Header Value = See <http://monaco-internet.mc/spam/> for details
Hostname = sceuzi.monaco.net
Scanned Subject Text = [SCANNED]
Virus Subject Text = [VIRUS]
Filename Subject Text = [FILENAME]
Content Subject Text = [BLOCKED CONTENT]
Spam Subject Text = [SPAM]
High Scoring Spam Subject Text = [SPAM]
Attachment Encoding Charset = ISO-8859-15
Notices Include Full Headers = yes
Notices To = postmaster at monaco.net
Local Postmaster = postmaster at monaco.net
Max SpamAssassin Size = 65536
Required SpamAssassin Score = 1
High SpamAssassin Score = 3
Always Include SpamAssassin Report = yes
Log Speed = yes
Log Spam = yes

If it can help, I can try to extract the MailScanner logs around the
time the problem happened, but I never found anything suspicious in
there (the main clue about this is precisely that MS threads stop
logging)...

Cheers,
--
[ Jacques Caruso <jacques at monaco.net>                  Développeur PHP ]