Sendmail Sender Verification

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at FSL.COM
Tue Mar 30 14:11:51 IST 2004

I had lunch a few weeks ago with the AOL postmaster at a spam conference
here in the states. Based on the luncheon discussion I believe that OMR
stands for Open Mail Relay. I believe that AOL has implemented a mail delay
scheme something like:

1. A message comes in from an "unseen" address
2. The message is queued until AOL runs an Open Mail Relay test (this is
very quick).
3. If the sending system is not an OMR the message is delivered and the OK
system is added to the good senders database.
4. If the sending system is an OMR, the message is rejected with an
appropriate error code and the OMR system is added to the bad senders
database.

I seem to remember that records are expired from both databases after a day
or two.

Steve

Stephen Swaney
President
Fortress Systems Ltd.
Steve.Swaney at FSL.com

dangerous content by Fortress Secure Mail Gateway
and was found to be clean.

Fortress Systems Ltd. - http://www.fsl.com