Check SpamAssassin If On Spam List -RBL setup.

shanna leonard ssl at AHSC.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Mar 26 19:26:01 GMT 2004

I am currently:
storing and not delivering High-scoring spam.
tagging and delivering regular scoring spam.

I would like to use RBLs in the following way:

1) reject connections via  MTA (sendmail) if  sender MTA is in xbl-sbl
or dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net (this is working!)

2) have MailScanner Mark as High-scoring spam if sender MTA is in any
two of another set of RBLs.. and not do any further SA checks... (and
therefore not deliver)

3) proceed with SA checks for all other messages (include SA RBL checks)

I am confused about the following comments in MailScanner.conf:

# If a message appears in at least this number of "Spam Lists" (as defined
# above), then the message will be treated as "High Scoring Spam" and so
# the "High Scoring Spam Actions" will happen....
Spam Lists To Reach High Score = 2

# If the message sender is on any of the Spam Lists, do you still want
# to do the SpamAssassin checks? Setting this to "no" will reduce the load
# on your server, but will stop the High Scoring Spam Actions from ever
# happening.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Check SpamAssassin If On Spam List = yes

the two coments seem to contradict each other.  If I set
"Check SpamAsssassin If on Spam List = no"   then will messages whose MTA 's IP was found by Mailscanner
on 2 RBL's be treated as High Scoring spam or not?

-
My relevant Mailscanner.conf settings currently

Spam List = ORDB-RBL NJABL spamcop.net DSBL

Spam Domain List =

Spam Lists To Reach High Score = 2

Is Definitely Spam = no

Definite Spam Is High Scoring = yes

Use SpamAssassin = yes

Check SpamAssassin If On Spam List = yes

Spam Score = yes

--
----
MHO