Server Crash

Grzesiek Sedek grzegorz at WIMBLEDON.AC.UK
Fri Mar 26 19:07:05 GMT 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:05:58AM -0700, Boulytchev, Vasiliy wrote:

> Ladies and Gents,
>       Hopefully everyone can participate on this discussion.  One of our
> production servers keeps crashing on a random basis.  We have eliminated the
> possibility of a hardware malfunction by moving the drives to an identical
> machine.  We are positive that the software is compatible with this Dell
> Poweredge 2650.
>       Current software configuration:
>
>               mandrake 9.2
>               kernel v. 2.4.22-28mdkenterprise
>               CommuniGate  version   4.1.8
>               perl-5.8.1-0.RC4.3mdk
>               glibc v. 2.3.2
>               MailScanner v. 4.28.6-1
>               cgp2ms and ms2cgp are of the older version.  I still need to
> upgrade them.
>               SpamAssassin v. 2.63
>
>       The most annoying thing, is that nothing is logged.
>
> Any input is appreciated!
>
> Vasiliy Boulytchev
> Colorado Information Technologies, Inc.
> http://www.coinfotech.com
Hi,
I had similar problem, it turn out that mailscanner children were
detaching themself and stay in memory. Rest of it was the same system
locked up but responding to pings.
I fixed it by setting mailscanner not to try to deliver mail in
background but puting it into the queue.
Everything works great now.
Grzesiek