Mounting mqueue.in as a tempfs...on FreeBSD

ISP List isp-list at TULSACONNECT.COM
Wed Mar 24 13:57:23 GMT 2004

At 08:56 AM 3/24/2004 +0000, Martin Hepworth wrote:
>Mike
>
>I ran some tests on an mfs based FS and a softupdate-ed filesystem
>(thats a bit like journaling for you linux dudes).
>
>On my server (freeBSD 4.8) there where no advantages to using mfs over a
>softupdate-ed filestem. In fact (as I've only 512MB ram anyhow) it
>actually ran a little slower..

That is exactly what I was seeing.

>Softupdates are very very much better than journaling for a heavy i/o
>based filesystem, esp for small files that email/news messages tend to be..

Yep.  I've been using soft updates for years and years.. back to the BSD/OS
days..

Mike Bacher / mike at sparklogic.com
SparkLogic Development / ISP Consulting
Use OptiGold ISP? Check out OptiSkin!