Mounting mqueue.in as a tempfs...on FreeBSD

Wed Mar 24 08:56:02 GMT 2004

Mike

I ran some tests on an mfs based FS and a softupdate-ed filesystem
(thats a bit like journaling for you linux dudes).

On my server (freeBSD 4.8) there where no advantages to using mfs over a
softupdate-ed filestem. In fact (as I've only 512MB ram anyhow) it
actually ran a little slower..

YMMV

Softupdates are very very much better than journaling for a heavy i/o
based filesystem, esp for small files that email/news messages tend to be..

see the following for a full explanation of why..

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/usenix2000/general/full_papers/seltzer/seltzer.pdf

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Michael Baird wrote:
> It's much faster, there is a MailScanner FAQ about using tmpfs and the
> speed advantages, yes there is the risk of losing mail if the machine
> crashes.
>
> Regards
> MIKE
>

>>>Obviously there is a performance advantage to this. Is there any
>>>disadvantage to this? Any possibility of loosing email if the system crashes?
>>>Anyone have a rough estimate of the performance gain for this setup? Anyone
>>>benchmarked this before and after?
>>
>>I tried it on FreeBSD 4.x a while back and it seemed slower than using a
>>disk based directory.  Also, I think the MFS is limited to 512MB which
>>might not be enough on heavily loaded systems..

>>Mike Bacher / mike at sparklogic.com
>>SparkLogic Development / ISP Consulting
>>Use OptiGold ISP? Check out OptiSkin!
>>http://www.sparklogic.com/optiskin/