MailScanner & Solaris: /tmp permissions reset (?)

S Joyce sjlist at HEIDELBERG.EDU
Tue Mar 23 19:29:26 GMT 2004

Hello.  I'm new to MailScanner, but it's working well.  Here's the setup:

Solaris 2.7
MailScanner 4.28.6
ClamAVModule (ClamAV 0.67-1)
SpamAssassin 2.6.3
Sendmail 8.9.2

Does MailScanner ever set permissions on /tmp (e.g. for the LockFile or
something)?  I don't know.

My reason for asking:  lately, I have seen the permission mode on /tmp (and
with our Solaris, we use swap/tmpfs on /tmp) change from 1777 (i.e. sticky
bit set) to 755, which prevents various processes from writing temporary
files.  This seems to happen at random.

I don't necessarily suspect MailScanner; I'm just starting there because I
note that this has only started happening since my install, and I haven't
installed anything else within the last several months.

In MailScanner.conf, I have not moved the work directory to /tmp as been
discussed (didn't see a particular need).  In other words, I have:

Incoming Work Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
Lockfile Dir = /tmp
Run As User =
Incoming Work User =
Incoming Work Group = clamav