Strange virus reports / Bug?

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Tue Mar 23 12:40:01 GMT 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Julian Field wrote:

> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:14:17 +0000
> From: Julian Field <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
> To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
> Subject: Re: Strange virus reports / Bug?
>
> So you could solve it by setting
> Incoming Work Permissions = 0600
> ?

Ehhh, not that simple.  I do:

Quarantine Whole Messages As Queue Files = yes

so all I had was the qf and df files, which would go thru the
virus scanners ok.  My quarantine perm is 0600, the default.
I couldn't decipher what the perms on the attachment might be.
I do use "File Command = /usr/bin/file" in my settings (Sun's
file command).  I guess is that it gives a bad interpretation
of what the attachment is, calling it executable.  MS sees
this output from /usr/bin/file, and triggers the filetype rule.
Jan, do you use Solaris?  Julian, how to chase this issue?

At our site, it only happened every couple of weeks.  The
Athletic Director (Mac user) would send email to the coaches
asking for their schedules.  The two coaches (Windoze users)
would hit reply, attach their text schedules, hit send, and
get rejected by MS -- sometimes.  It annoyed them no end, so
I commented out the filetype rule.  Hey, as sports photographer
for the College, I've got to work with the coaches.  Can't
let my day job get in the way...

Jeff Earickson
Colby College