ANNOUNCE: Unstable 4.29.5 released

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Mar 23 12:02:15 GMT 2004

G'day all!

Another unstable/beta release for you.
There are currently no known problems with this release, not that I can
remember anyway :-)
Please report any problems you find, preferably by following up on this
thread in the main mailing list. I don't currently have time to read every
list posting, I am too busy writing code for you folks! (Oh, and doing the
day job ;->

I have implemented a binhex decoder, so the testvirus.org binhex check
should now pass okay. I have never seen a virus use binhex encoding, but it
must only be a matter of time and I like to stay one step ahead of the bad
guys when I can.

I have also implemented the "Custom Functions Dir" idea that has been
discussed on the mailing list recently.

I have also (hopefully) fixed the problem where Postfix virtual domains
weren't always used as expected. Please let me know if this problem is now
resolved.

Download as usual from www.mailscanner.info.

*****************
Upgrade notes:
*****************
* People using the RPM distributions will need to run "./install.sh" as
another Perl module has been added to the installation.
* People using the TAR distribution will need to install the module
Convert::BinHex. Easiest way to do that is
         perl -MCPAN -e shell
         install Convert::BinHex
If it fails the "make test" check, you will have to do
         force install Convert::BinHex

---------
Changelog
---------
The full changelog for 4.29 is this:

* New Features and Improvements *
- More robust MIME decoding, should catch postmaster bounces a lot better
   when they include the entire message with broken MIME headers.
- Clam -wrapper script adds /usr/ucb to end of $PATH for Solaris users.
- Moved cron job maximum update delay to /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner so it
   is preserved across upgrades.
- <Script> tags in HTML message bodies can now be filtered out or disarmed,
   just like what can be done already with <Form> tags and similar.
- <Object Data> tags handled as well as <Object Codebase> tags.
- Now unpacks self-extracting Zip archives.
- Now logs when a message is whitelisted.
- Added example rule for matching *@domain.com and *@*.domain.com in 1 rule.
- Now decodes binhex-encoded attachments, as well as binhex-encoded data
   hidden in the text portion of a message.
- McAfee wrapper script now detects extra.dat and uses it if present.
- Implemented support for a directory full of Custom Functions files, these
   will all be used automatically if present in the directory.
   Uses new "Custom Functions Dir" setting to point to the directory.

* Fixes *
- When not checking archives at all, they are now passed through correctly.
- Max Archive Depth should have been settable per-message.
- F-Prot output parser re-fixed so that it lets through password-encrypted
   archives as it should. Don't know what I was thinking when I blocked them
   here :-(
- Various waiting speedups by JJH.
- More speedups by me :-)
- Fixed problem with messages with lots of attachments being labelled as
   being nested too deep.
- Postfix support for latest snapshots implemented.
- Fixed problem where MSP+spam actions = delete ==> mail not delivered.
- Fixed problem where virtual domains weren't always used in Postfix.
--
Julian Field