FreeBSD and MailScanner

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Tue Mar 23 10:37:55 GMT 2004

Martin Hepworth said:
> Pete
>
> from what I see of the ports version is a complete system, that also
> sets up sendmail as well. JP will tell me if I'm wrong....

I use the ports system (One of the reasons I went to FreeBSD) and have
never had a problem (A huge compliment to JP) and I use Postfix. I don't
remember Sendmail listed as a dependency, so it won't install it for you
(So you have the choice of mailer).

>  From what I see you'll still have to reconfigure to use postfix in the
> way from the FAQ. SO it kinda negates alot of the advantages of using
> the ports version.

True and make it start up correctly (Not that hard) where as Exim and
Sendmail have start up support in the mta.sh start up script (Which you
need to remember to remove/ disable). The biggest benefit to using ports
is that it installs all the dependencies (Never have to post why the logs
are moaning about not having ::zip module etc!) and when upgrading the
upgrade script automagically merges your MailScanner.conf file to the new
one, ready to check, rename and run live. Fantastic and saves loads of
time.

> I use the tar.gz version for this reason - also means I can backout a
> version upgrade very quickly should it not work for some reason. The
> tar.gz version would normally get installed as
> /opt/MailScanner-version.subversion.subversion-release, this means then
> you link /opt/MailScanner to this release, if you keep the old release
> you can easily backout to the old version by merely stopping MS,
> resetting the link and restarting....

The benefit of NOT running from port. Doesn't worry me too much as I tend
to only run releases. If I did run mailscanner-devel, it is possible to
back out to the release version with out too much hassle.

> works very nicely for me...

And me (From a slightly different side of the same field!) ;-)

Drew

>snipped<

>> Hmmm - so if use Ports, then no postfix support at all?

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy