FreeBSD and MailScanner

Tue Mar 23 09:36:51 GMT 2004

Pete

from what I see of the ports version is a complete system, that also
sets up sendmail as well. JP will tell me if I'm wrong....

 From what I see you'll still have to reconfigure to use postfix in the
way from the FAQ. SO it kinda negates alot of the advantages of using
the ports version.

I use the tar.gz version for this reason - also means I can backout a
version upgrade very quickly should it not work for some reason. The
tar.gz version would normally get installed as
/opt/MailScanner-version.subversion.subversion-release, this means then
you link /opt/MailScanner to this release, if you keep the old release
you can easily backout to the old version by merely stopping MS,
resetting the link and restarting....

works very nicely for me...

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Pete wrote:
> Martin Hepworth wrote:
>
>> Pete
>>
>> I use the generic tar to install MS. The ports one is good, but I
>> don't want to use sendmail so I decided on using the generic tar file
>> instead. Wrote my own startup/shutdown for MS and Exim (modified the
>> one on the exim port), not hard.
>>
>> easy to install, setup, and upgrade...
>>
>> just my preference...
>>
>> --
>> Martin Hepworth
>> Snr Systems Administrator
>> Solid State Logic
>> Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300
>>

>> Pete wrote:
>>
>>> I am going to try and run MaiLScanner on Free BSD on my secondary (very
>>> low volume) mailgateway, i want to run it in a used enviroment as i am
>>> pretty new to BSD but i want to use it in action while i learn as much
>>> as i can.
>>>
>>> My question is, is the offical ports tree updated with MS or should just
>>> download the archive posted to this list, extract to
>>> /usr/ports/mail/maillscanner-devel and install from there? maybe
>>> extracting the new devel releases over the top of the previous ones?
>>>
>>> I did a /stand/sysinstall and updated the ports tree, but make search
>>> name=mailscanner finds nothing :(
>>>
>>> Has anyone wrriten any specific doco for freeBSD/postfix/mailscanner ?
>>> Just follow the guide on BSD and the postfix one on Julian's site?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Pete
>>

> Hmmm - so if use Ports, then no postfix support at all?

believed to be clean.