Mailscanner, MTA and postfix questions - any chance of a guide?

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Tue Mar 23 04:13:12 GMT 2004

Drew Marshall wrote:

>Pete said:
>

>>Drew Marshall wrote:

>>>You are running RH (or similar) aren't you? If so then yes you will need
>>>to comment out references to the postfix.in commands. This is the bit
>>>that
>>>is outstanding before the option becomes openly available. It doesn't
>>>matter if you are running any non .rpm installation, as you have to set
>>>up
>>>the start up scripts yourself. Julain was looking to automate this part
>>>based on the setup in MailScanner.conf.
>>>
>>>The error is just that the MailScanner service is trying to start 2
>>>postfix instances and they don't exisist.
>>>
>>>Drew
>>>

>>Yeah my production systems are red hat.
>>Thanks - also pcre isnt something postfix allows by default. Or doesnt
>>seem to be to me, seems like this should be regexp ? pcre didnt work on
>>my super basic/default postfix 2.16 install.  I notice when installing
>>postfix 1 on freebsd it asks me to compile pcre in, eg its not enable by
>>default.
>>
>>I know NOTHING about perl - is it possible to make that file hashed
>>instead, so its usable by the most people? or am i waaaaaaay off?
>>

>Interesting, pcre just tells Postfix what to expect in the file (Perl
>Compatible Regular Expressions) however it's only used as it's faster than
>regexp. I was under the impression that Postfix compiled with pcre as
>standard (Or at least in all the versions I have installed (none on Red
>Hat) I have never worried about it), but obviously not. You can use regexp
>with out problem. just change the line that reads
>pcre:/etc/postfix/header_checks to be regexp:/etc/postfix/header_checks
>and that should work.
>
>Drew

Hope you dont mind the feedback? :)
The postfix/hold dir doesnt exist in postfix 1.1.1.1 installed from
Freebsd ports
I grabbed the postfix 2.019 source and installed that it appeared. I
tried using the deferred dir in postfix 1 but that didnt work either.

Is there something special people need to do to use postfix 1? (or is
there any reason ot use postfix 1?)