testvirus.org

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Sun Mar 21 14:03:44 GMT 2004

Julian Field wrote:
> It is a MailScanner issue. Well, strictly speaking, it's a MIME-tools
> issue. The 3 tests basically involve defining the MIME boundary as one
> string and then using something totally different in the message. What
> modern mail clients actually successfully handle these tests? It confused
> the hell out of my Eudora as the message boundary didn't match what it said
> it was going to be. Unless I am very lucky, coping with these broken
> messages may cause more trouble than it solves.

When I send 20,21 and 23 to my Yahoo account for reference they indicate
attachments but looking at the headers there's just the definition of
the boundary, there's no boundary with an attachment following it.

I think that's a pretty good way of handling it. If you can't make out
what to do with it by following standards then just skip it.

It would be wrong to try to deliver non-compliant mail, especially since
it's probably spam and virus (and Microsoft), it would be better to be
able to block non-compliant mail (or its attachments).

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun

Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.10, MailScanner 4.25-14,
SpamAssassin 2.63 + DCC 1.2.30, ClamAV 0.67 + GMP 4.1.2, MailStats 0.25