Required SpamAssassin Score

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Mar 21 11:17:50 GMT 2004

At 21:41 20/03/2004, you wrote:
>Quick question.  Way back in version 4.01 the "required_hits" in
>spam.assassin.prefs.conf was replaced by "Required SpamAssassin Score" in
>MailScanner.conf.
>
>The default required_hits value was 5.  This default was, I believe, changed
>to 6.  Any particular reason?

Because 6 is the figure I use and I think it is a better choice than 5.
With 6 I get no false positives at all, which I think is a far more
important criteria than missing the odd one with a false negative.

As they say, finding the spam is the easy bit. Making sure you find all the
real mail is much harder.
--
Julian Field