[spamtools] Decomissioning a DNS anti-spam list {Scanned}

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Sat Mar 20 11:04:35 GMT 2004

On Mar 19, 2004, at 11:42 PM, Mike Zanker wrote:

> On 19 March 2004 22:01 -0500 Chris Sweeney <csweeney at OSUBUCKS.ORG>
> wrote:
>
>> Why not just remove the DNS entries from his server so people won't
>> be using his system.  IE remove *.relays.monkeys.com from his DNS so
>> it just doesn't resolve?
>
> Because of the way that recursive DNS queries work. His DNS server(s)
> still have to be queried to find out that it doesn't resolve.

Unless he does away with the entire domain (de-list his DNS servers
from the server list for that domain, stop serving monkeys.com
entirely).  The problem there, of course, is that he may still be
wanting to use the non relays.monkeys.com parts of the domain.  But the
only way I really see he can stop the problem is to remove his DNS
servers from the domain registration for monkeys.com.