New versions of F-Prot Antivirus (fwd)

Paul Welsh zen23003 at ZEN.CO.UK
Fri Mar 19 13:22:19 GMT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerry Doris" <gdoris at ROGERS.COM>
To: <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 12:49 PM
Subject: Re: New versions of F-Prot Antivirus (fwd)

> I'm seeing some strange things with the new F-Prot.
>
> I sent a message containing a password protected zip virus to myself.
> Trend and ClamAV both found the virus (with different names) and
> MailScanner said there was a virus in the zip file.  However, F-Prot only
> warned that it contained a dangerous .exe file.
>
> I'm not sure that F-Prot would have stopped the zip file if it had of been
> the only protection???

That's a worry.  I haven't installed it yet because I wasn't certain what
the effect of the changes to its default behaviour would be.  It now scans
inside archives.  I imagined that performance problems might result in both
MailScanner and F-Prot extracting the contents of archives and scanning
them.