Final steps for my MS server

Jason Williams jwilliams at COURTESYMORTGAGE.COM
Thu Mar 18 21:14:01 GMT 2004

Hello everyone.

I'm in the final steps of getting my Mail Scanner server rolled out here
and I have a mix of excitement and anxiety. :) I was hoping to get a few
last pointers here from people have rolled out MS.

Here is my setup.

MailScanner is going to act as our corporate mail gateway. It will be
running on FreeBSD 4.9 with Sendmail 8.12.11 as the MTA. It will also have
SpamAssassin and ClamAV setup to scan, strip and mangle emails as they come
in. Once the email has passed the tests, it will then be forwarded to our
email server that is in our private LAN.

Now im still working out the kinks on a few things with sendmail,
specifically on getting the mail gateway to relay the mail to the internal
server.
But one thing I wanted to ask was, since im using a mail gateway server,
what is the recommended path for outgoing mail? Should I filter it to go
back out through the mail server, or should I just use our private mail
server as the outgoing smtp server?

If I do decide to have outgoing mail sent through the mail gateway, that
would mean that email will follow this path:

clients MUA --> Private Mail Server ---> MailScanner Mail gateway ---> internet

Seem right?

Does anyone currently use this particular setup? If so, any recommendations
that you recommend?

My next step is to work on the sendmail part to get this functional.

But in the meantime, I really do appreciate everyones help on this list. I
look forward to hearing your comments.

Cheers,

Jason