Mailscanner, MTA and postfix questions - any chance of a guide?

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Thu Mar 18 20:36:28 GMT 2004

Pete wrote:

> Thaks for your reply, appreciated.
>
> Not being mcuh aof a Linux, let alone postfix, expert - why would I be
> better or worse of using your method vs the 2 x Postfix method? (as
> described on Julian's pages)?

I use it because it makes admin much easier. One main.cf file, one
master.cf and better still as I run on under powered kit, only one
process. it also worked rather well getting round the truncated/
duplicated message problem. It also means that I have a ready made
header check file, ready for black listing people I don't like (I have
one 'legit.' marketing company that doesn't understand that unsubscribe
really means no thanks (They are not really spammers so I didn't mind
using their 'unsubscribe' tool) and my car insurance company's online
'order confirmation' system developed a bug and spent one weekend
sending me 1500 'Thanks for taking out your motor insurance with us'
e-mails. They also got black listed!).

> Is there a short answer about performance, robustness, features some one
> could post?
> My current mthod is working great, so am not itching to change, but i do
> have a server replacement coming, and am writing a short plan on
> implementation prior to actually doing it this time.

I have to go along with the 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' school of
thought but as you are starting from scratch, it won't take much to set
up as single instance and always swap back if you prefer.

>> I have attached it, sorry it's in MS Word. If you can't open it, I'll
>> publish it some where (Sorry, not much time at the moment).
>>
>> Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy