Stalling messages with attachments

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Tue Mar 16 22:08:29 GMT 2004

Harnish, Joe wrote:

> All,
>
> I am looking for a way to stall all email for a configurable amount of
> time. I would like to find/create a way to hold a message and it’s
> attachment for a duration of time, in hopes that a virus definition
> will come out for my scanning tools before the virus enters the
> network. This would serve 2 purposes. One is hold the message for a
> time determined by management to hopefully pick up more viruses. The
> second would be to hold all mail with an attachment while we wait for
> a virus definition. Does anyone know how I can do this with
> MailScanner? Or will this need code tweaking?
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe

Dont you have virus scanner on the desktops and files servers? We use a
different brabnd on desktops, file servers, and mailserver - then
another brand on mail gateways.

I think you will find for your method to work you will need to run 3 or
so scanner son the gateway and keep mail there for 48 hours or so.

To do it, you would need to output scanned mail from mailscanner to
dir4ectory/queue not being used by your outbound MTA, write a script to
sort the nmessages by date and cron it to run every xx minutes to find
the messages that are xxold and then mv them back into the outbound
queue? or something like that?