Mailscanner, MTA and postfix questions

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Tue Mar 16 20:51:40 GMT 2004

James Sizemore wrote:

> I have been running Mailscanner in the same single Postfix setup on a
> cluster
> of 5 email-gateways.  I am very happy with it as well. Much cleaner.
> Easier
> to adjust flow rate of mail with only one master.cf.

As am I (Although not on that scale) and would say that this is the
neatest solution and removes the duplicate message issue (Not seen one
for more than 6 month since switching over).

> I'm using postfix-2.0.11-5 and mailscanner-4.26.5-1  I'm curious to know
> if you use spam action rules? /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.actions.rules
> and if you do what version of Mailscanner and Postfix your using.
> I am have an odd problem with the rules not matching right even with
> "Use Default Rules With Multiple Recipients = yes" turned on.
> I don't think this has anything to do with running in single instance
> mode
> with Postfix, but never hurts to check.

Yes, I use spam action rules but not very many. I mostly set them up for
children's addresses, where I want them to not receive any form of spam
at all (My default is to attach).

> MailScanner.conf :
> %rules-dir% = /etc/MailScanner/rules
> Spam Actions =  %rules-dir%/spam.actions.rules
> High Scoring Spam Actions = %rules-dir%/high.spam.actions.rules
> Use Default Rules With Multiple Recipients = yes
>
> /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.actions.rules :
> To:     james at deny.org          delete
> To:     jimmy at isdn.net          delete
> FromOrTo:    default    deliver

> /etc/MailScanner/rules/high.spam.actions.rules :
> FromOrTo:    default    delete

My rules end with only To:   default   <action>

as I whitelist out going and block unknown recipients at SMTP therefore
To: is the only variable that needs to be set. I'm not sure if this is
relevant in your instance. I would guess it makes not difference in your
rules but...

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy