Mailscanner, MTA and postfix questions

Lindsay Snider lindsay at PA.NET
Tue Mar 16 15:52:08 GMT 2004

Hey Jason!

I have another method to run postfix.  It's less hacky, required only
one postfix instance, and has been running great here on 7 machines for
over a year.  It's also easier to setup.  Here is the template email
describing how to set it up.

First, have postfix put all messages you want scanned into the hold
queue.  Since we want them all scanned, our header_checks has a one
liner in it that matches every email.

/etc/postfix/main.cf:

/etc/postfix/header_checks:
/^Received:/    HOLD

And here are the changes for MailScanner.

/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf:
Run As User = postfix
Run As Group = postfix
Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/hold
Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/incoming
MTA = postfix

/etc/sysconfig/MailScanner:
MTA=postfix

chown -R postfix:postfix /var/spool/MailScanner/

and we like to mount mailscanners working directory on /dev/shm. For us,
MailScanner ran about 20% faster.

fstab:
/dev/shm                /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming tmpfs defaults
0 0

When starting/stopping MailScanner w/ init.d, it complains about not
finding the incoming postfix instance but its safe to ignore the error.

Let me know how it goes or if I can provide any more detail/info.
Good luck!
-lindsay