Load average high!!!

James Gray james_gray at OCS.COM
Mon Mar 15 20:39:45 GMT 2004

Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> [...]

I can concur with Ugo's suggestions with some real-world experience
running MailScanner on low spec servers.  I have a Celeron433 with 512MB
  RAM running MailScanner+SpamAssassin+McAfee and it's also the MySQL
server as well.  It started life with  128Mb RAM which was totally
inadequate.

The mail server handles <1000 messages with only one MailScanner child
and hasn't had any problems.  Even during the last Netsky outbreak,
system load was rarely above 0.5.  If RAM is scarce (<256MB) and volumes
are low then run a single child with a 5 second check interval - this
seems to be most economical trade-off between speed and RAM conservation
(at least with my equipment).

My 1300+ custom SpamAssassin rules means that each MailScanner child
occupys about 40Mb RAM.  Running more than 2 children on my Celeron box
means that BOTH MySQL and MailScanner start paging like mad, and
subsequently crucify overall performance for both of them.

YMMV.

Cheers,

James