Debian woody Mailscanner Spamassassin

James Gray james_gray at OCS.COM
Mon Mar 15 20:51:28 GMT 2004

Matt Chipman wrote:
> Does anyone use the above and can tell me where the mail::spamassassin::conf
> file is??  I'm confused, it is not in the usual places. /etc/spamassassin
>
> SA was installed as a dependancy of Mailscanner.
>
> thanks
>
> -Matt

IIRC it's in /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf.

If not try /usr/local/etc/... and /etc/mail/spamassassin/...

I tried mucking around with backported deb's for MailScanner and
SpamAssassin, but gave up.  They took too long to be ported and secondly
  they were a pain to configure "just right".  So I've switched to using
the tar-ball versions of both.  I found the same problems as what you're
having - the "track down the config file" game.....grrrr.  At least the
tar-balls allow you to put stuff where it's "standard" etc.  (Debian
guru's can flame away here....I'm wearing my asbestos suit)

In fact I've set my Debian machines up so I can jump around whatever
versions of MailScanner I want simply by changing a single symlink and
restarting MailScanner.  SpamAssassin is a little more tricky to version
hop, but only if I get rid of the source tar-ball :)

Cheers,

James