Mailscanner, MTA and postfix questions

Jason Williams jwilliams at COURTESYMORTGAGE.COM
Mon Mar 15 20:18:53 GMT 2004

Hello everyone.

I've been tinkering around lately with Mailscanner and have really liked
what I have seen so far. I've been able to successfully get MS up and
running on a FreeBSD box running sendmail. I setup clamav without breaking
a sweat. The only thing I haven't been able to get fully involved with yet
is working with SA...

I wanted to ask a few questions regarding MTA's and MS. I know Sendmail
works with MS and works quite easily. However, I have toyed with the idea
of running MS on a postfix box (MS is going to act as our mail gateway,
scanning and stripping items as they come in, then forward to our private
mail server).

I've read through some archives as well as the FAQ on Postfix, but I wanted
to hear some other feedback in regards to how well Postfix works with MS. I
read in the archives, that support for Postfix is not fully implemented yet?

I don't mind running MS on a Sendmail box, but I wanted to get the best of
both worlds by running one of our mail servers on postfix, and the other on
sendmail (granted, our internal mail server must run Sendmail)

I quickly setup a postfix box here at work and did some initial
configurations. However, I was confused about one part of the setup that
was listed on the MS site. Specifically, the part where it says to comment
out the smtpd line in master.cf. That would effectively not allow it to
listen on port 25 at all. Is this a typo? Or is there something else that
needs to be done with this as well.

I appreciate the help.

Just a quick question: Do most people run MS on Sendmail? Anyone have a %
list of what MTA is most popular to run MS on? Just curious really.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers,

Jas