eTrust Antivirus on Fedora

Kyle Harris lists at TRCINTL.COM
Mon Mar 15 15:58:56 GMT 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:19:30 -0800, Nathan Johanson
<nathan at TCPNETWORKS.NET> wrote:

>> I have set up eTrust on Fedora Core 1 and had the same (and other)
>> problems. I had to set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 in the wrapper script to
>> trick it. This is just from the top of my head, I can check the server
>> on Monday.
>>

>I tested it under RHEL 3 and couldn't get it to work. I'm also curious
>about your success with this.
>Nathan

Thanks to the suggestion from Peter Bonivart (and no thanks to CA tech
support) I was able to get eTrust AV 7.0 working on Fedora Core 1.  I had
to make two changes.  First in /usr/lib/MailScanner/etrust-wrapper I had to
add the following line:  export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 .  After that
change, eTrust started working in MailScanner.  To get the signature update
script to work, I also had to put the same line
in /etc/cron.hourly/update_virus_scanners .  I'm not sure if this is the
proper place for this, but it seemed to do the trick for me.  It should
probably also be noted that when you do this, you still can not run
inocmd32 from the command line without typing in this same command (or you
could always do this in your bash profile).

Julian,
Do you think it would be a good idea to either have this added in the next
update (at least until eTrust updates their software) or put this in the
FAQ somewhere?  I'm sure others running eTrust 7.0 will run into this same
problem on versions of RedHat newer than 8.0 or Fedora.

Kyle H.