piping mail to Mailscanner - solved

Matt Chipman matt at corenetworks.com.au
Mon Mar 15 08:12:30 GMT 2004

Matt Chipman said:
> Hi
>
> using GETMAIL,  I want to pipe messages across to Mailscanner rather
than
> have then scanned because they come in on port 25.
>
> Getmail can send the messages to mailscanner but what would be a command
line for Mailscanner to recieve them?

> thanks
>
> Matt

> believed to be clean.

> believed to be clean.

All,  thanks for the help on this issue and since I have solved it with
your help, I thought I'd feed it back to the group where is will be
archived for the next person looking for the same answers.

Basically Getmail is a Fetchmail alternative but without the extra
features of xxxy and z the most prominant being (as far as I could work
out) does not revieve mail on port 25, only on 110 (pop3).  Feeding that
mail into Mailscanner is also something that I could not find the answer
to as readily. (indeed it may be possible but not in the timeframe I had.)
 Mailscanner as I know now, looks at port 25 for victims to scan????

anyway

WHat I ended up doing was uninstalling getmail and installing Fetchmail.
Previously I have stayed away from Fetchmail because it seemed a bit over
featured for what I wanted to achieve.  After an afternoons reading, I
used a small conf file created an run as the user and the mail was
downloaded and sent through mailscanner and spamassassin etc and ended up
in the users mailbox (mine) as it should have without fuss and
complication.

my .fetchmailrc config is below.....

poll mail.yourpop3host.au
protocol pop3
user yourusernamehere
pass yourpasshere
#keep
smtp localhost
antispam -1
#fetchlimit 10

uncomment the "keep" word and it will not delete the mail from the server.
uncomment "fetchlimit" to get a few mails while testing your config.

Now i am a fetchmail convert :)
Getmail is still a nice alternative to Fetchmail when advanced features
are not required.

I think this might be the least complex way of getting external mail to
mailscanner.

thanks again to all who helped me reach this conclusion.

-Matt Chipman

believed to be clean.