Spam Scores

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Sun Mar 14 10:01:39 GMT 2004

Pete wrote:
> HI there, am finding a few emails now that only ever score into the 4s.
> I have never changed any scores before. But i think ,maybe i need to up
> a couple of them as they seem very low. Sorbs hardly seems worth the
> effort of looking up for .1 - I just want to bump a couple of these
> spams up to reach a score of 5, which means you message is
> stored/forwarded NOT delivered on my server. Is is safe to bumber up
> some of the RBLs scores? should i do this in spamassassin.prefs.conf
> instead of SA configs?

The scores have been analyzed from a large set of actual spam, my guess
is that if an RBL has a low score that means it might give a false positive.

Study the logs for a while and try to get a grip about which tests are
reliable for you, then bump a couple of them but not more than double
their original score. There's no point in heuristic analyze if you give
ridiculous scores like 100+, that's blacklisting and in that case it
would be faster to do the RBLs on the MTA. I bumped the score of Spamcop
which is very reliable for me.

Do this in spam.assassin.prefs.conf so it remains after an upgrade of SA.

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun

Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.10, MailScanner 4.25-14,
SpamAssassin 2.63 + DCC 1.2.30, ClamAV 0.67 + GMP 4.1.2