Sendmail & MailScanner - can't connect from public addresses

James D. Parra Jamesp at MUSICREPORTS.COM
Sat Mar 13 00:02:21 GMT 2004

Hello,

Finished setting up the latest MailScanner and Sendmail, however, although I
can connect to the mail server via telnet to port 25 from any machine on the
local subnet, it does not respond from any request from public IP addresses.
There is no firewall on this server, but it is behind a firewall. Nmap shows
port 25 as open.  When I open port forwarding from two other firewalls (from
different ISP address ranges) to the mail server, I get no response when
telnetting from the public side to the smtp port. (It is not the firewall
since port forwarding works to the other mail servers)

It appears that either Sendmail or MailScanner is only accepting connections
from the local subnet.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

This may be useful;
grep "inet" /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
#O ClientPortOptions=Family=inet, Address=0.0.0.0

Many thanks in advance,

James