General questions regarding MS, SpamAssassin stuff

Jason Williams jwilliams at COURTESYMORTGAGE.COM
Fri Mar 12 21:33:07 GMT 2004

Hello everyone.

Well, the more I dig into MS, the more i'm starting to love it. Simple,
robust yet very effective. I like.

I've been reading through the documentation on the web site as well as the
.conf files to get an idea of what I can configure, how to configure it and
so forth.

Let me provide some info:

OS: FreeBSD 4.9
MTA: Sendmail 8.12.11
AV: ClamAV
MS: 4.28-5

I want to start off with RBL checks. It looks like you can have MS do rbl
checks. However, I can also setup rbl checks in sendmail. Is there a better
one to use? Would it be better to configure rbl checks in my .mc file and
build it into sendmail, or should I allow MS to do the RBL checks? Is there
a better performance booster if one is used over the other?

Secondly, i've been able to get MS and ClamAV to gel nicely. Everything
appears to work nicely. Sending the test eicar virus is immediately
detected by MS and ClamAV, which is very nice. Right now, im debating on
whether to add another AV scanner and which one.

Moving on, I wanted to ask some questions regarding SpamAssassin, razor
stuff etc. I'm quite new to SpamAssassin and the razor stuff, but I would
like to take full advantage of spam checking. I've also ready about bayes,
which appears to be a learning type system that can help build SpamAsassins
spam identification and would like to take advantage of this as well.

Since my MS machine is going to be running as a mail gateway system, what
are some general, recommended methods for setting up spam
identification/traps? For instance, if I want to take advantage of bayes,
it appears that I have to keep a copy of the email in a certain directory
and then run a command against the emails in the directory. I may be
posting on the wrong list and if so I apologize.

Just wanted to get some recommendations on the spam stuff. I've figured out
the MS and AV side and I really am quite pleased with everything. I'm
looking forward to putting this server up and making my life easier.

I appreciate everyones help.

Cheers,

Jason