Bayes setup (where!?!?!)

kfliong kfliong at WOFS.COM
Fri Mar 12 06:47:10 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have looked around in the archive but there doesn't seems to have a
really complete tutorial on setting up bayes. So, I just pick up pieces
from here and there and tried to setup my bayes. Would like to verify with
you people that I have done it correctly.

I have deleted all my previous bayes files which must have been left from
previous version on mailscanner.

Anyway, here is what did....

1) edit spam.assassin.prefs.conf

#auto_whitelist_path        /var/spool/spamassassin/auto-whitelist
#auto_whitelist_file_mode   0600
#bayes_path                 /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes
#bayes_path                  /etc/MailScanner/bayes
bayes_path                  /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes
#bayes_file_mode            0600
bayes_file_mode 0644

Here is exactly what i have.

2) also in spam.assassin.prefs.conf

use_bayes 1

3) mkdir /var/spool/spamassassin

4) edit MailScanner.conf

from : SpamAssassin User State Dir =
to    :  SpamAssassin User State Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin

Then stop and start MailScanner.

I now need to train with 200 spam and ham.

But i have a question, how do i get 200 spam and ham without making lots of
references to my mailscanner database created by MailWatch. I can't use
MailWatch directly because it will cause my mysql to crash as I have 500mb
of data in there for 7 days worth of emails. But I can use phpmyadmin to
query that database to look for spams and hams (and then with the email id,
copy the mails to spam/ham folder) which is time consuming.

Please let me know if i missed anything in setting up bayes.

Thanks in advance.

thanks