Blacklisting by server hostname

Jim Holland mailscanner at MANGO.ZW
Thu Mar 11 22:19:35 GMT 2004

Hi

A question that I would like to see clarified is that of "addresses"
blocked in spam.blacklist.rules.  My understanding from the
MailScanner/rules/EXAMPLES and README files is that you can block based on
patterns that match e-mail addresses or IP addresses.  I think it should
be clarified whether e-mail addresses are matched based on the envelope
address or the From: address in the message header.  I assume that it is
based only on the envelope sender address - as with say a sendmail access
file blacklist.  Is that correct?

Nowhere in the above files is there a mention of how to block by server
hostname - which I consider most important.  I would like to be able to
block mail from any host in, say, the namespace .client2.attbi.com, for
example.  Will "*.client2.attbi.com" work?  All the examples however use
e-mail addresses and not domain names, and *@*.client2.attbi.com is
definitely not what I want.

Thanks to Julian and all the others who contribute to this great software.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service