MS + Postfix + content_filter

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Tue Mar 9 21:10:49 GMT 2004

Nejc Skoberne wrote:

><Snip>
>So here is my problem: how to use content_filter directive in Postfix
>when I have two postfixes running: if I do it on incoming Postfix, MS
>scans mail before it is forwarded to the content filter (is this
>because mail goes to Postfix.in incoming queue before it is forwarded
>to content_filter?).

No the defer command is applied first. No point in using extra effort to
parse messages if you are just going to defer the message (Or so Postfix
thinks!)

> If I do it on delivery Postfix, content_filter is
>somehow ignored (nothing in log files).

Yes as the filters are applied after the SMTPD has finished.

>Can anyone tell me if (s)he has successfully managed to make two
>postfixes work also with a content_filter? If you did, do can you send
>configuration files?

I use header checks (Only because regex makes my head hurt and body
checks would need more regex!) very successfully but I am running a
single Postfix instance with MailScanner. My message flow is basically
SMTPD accepts the mail and the performs the checks, acting on the first
available match (The last on being 'HOLD' which put all the mail on hold
for MS to collect and scan before putting back into the incoming queue).
the game is to convince Postfix to scan body before headers. I seem to
remember it doesn't but I can't remember for sure.

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy