changing spamassassin points configuration

kfliong kfliong at WOFS.COM
Tue Mar 9 01:26:50 GMT 2004

I tried running sa-learn on one message.

sa-learn -D --ham i243EBh25220

But the thing is I left this command runnning for more than 16 hours and
it's still running (or could be hung...not sure) but then i had to cancel
it. The last line is as below :

debug: lock: 6360 trying to get lock on /root/.spamassassin/bayes with 1
retries
debug: lock: 6360 link to /root/.spamassassin/bayes.lock: link ok
debug: bayes: 6360 tie-ing to DB file R/W /root/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
debug: bayes: 6360 tie-ing to DB file R/W /root/.spamassassin/bayes_seen
debug: bayes: found bayes db version 0
debug: bayes: detected bayes db format 0, upgrading
debug: bayes: upgrading database format from v0 to v2

Does it really takes that long to upgrade that database?

Here is what's in my /root/.spamassassin/ folder

-rw-------    1 root     root     83558400 Sep 17 20:22 auto-whitelist
-rw-------    1 root     root          232 Dec 29 11:07
bayes.lock.ensim.mydomain.com.642
-rw-------    1 root     root         1189 Dec 24 15:07 bayes_msgcount
-rw-------    1 root     root     10428416 Dec 24 15:06 bayes_seen
-rw-------    1 root     root      4112384 Dec 24 15:06 bayes_toks
-rw-------    1 root     root       962560 Dec 24 15:44 bayes_toks.new
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1165 Dec 24 17:44 user_prefs

I am sorry if this is more a SA issue than MS. But please help if
possible...thank you very much.

At 10:20 PM 3/4/2004, you wrote:

> > kfliong wrote:
> >
> >> So in other word, I just have to let the user stop getting some mails
> >> (eventhough some might be important) while waiting for SA to learn
> >> that the
> >> sender is not sending spams?
> >>
> > If you have a copy of the email you can teach it to SA by using the
> > command "sa-learn". See "man sa-learn" or the list archives for more
> > info.  In summary, have a copy of the mail as either a single file with
> > the headers and body or a bunch of them in a mbox style mailbox and run
> > the command (as the same user that MS runs as):
> > sa-learn --ham filename
> >
> > Daniel
>
>Also, you can download a file of spam from the SpamAssassin site and use
>it to train your bayes database.  I did this originally as I have a low
>volume server and it was taking forever to get bayes trained.  It's not
>the best way as you're teaching bayes from someone else's spam, but I
>figured spammers are an equal opportunity group and send their stuff to
>everyone!
>
>Once it's up and running it automagically trains itself on your specific
>spam from there on.
>
>Gerry

thanks